Virgin Media Broadband Reviews

Sometimes the best way to get a feel for a broadband provider is to read what those who are already customers think of the service they're receiving. Below are all the reviews we've received for Virgin Media.

Recent Customer Ratings for Virgin Media

• Satisfaction
    3 stars
  • Customer Service
    2.8 stars
  • Speed
    3.2 stars
  • Reliability
    3 stars

Based on 993 customer ratings since 2023-05-09 (Show all time ratings)

Visit Virgin Media   Read our Virgin Media buyers guide

Ratings are left by users of our speed test as well as by reviewers. Recent star ratings summarise the last 12 months of ratings or the last 100 ratings placed, whichever is largest.

4,684 Customer Reviews over 118 pages

• Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Not happy, internet signal drops out 3 times a minute (if im lucky). Has worse reliability than BT in rural lincolnshire and about the same speed.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Awful rude company. Increased price without notification. Women on the phone said i was lying when I said i hadn't received everything and the other 5 million customers all did, I called her up on this and said how did she know that and she was like well "all my family got letters" and I asked did you actually ask all your family...she then shut up and put me through to cancellation which then said I had received an email about the price increase even though I never did. STAY AWAY. will be going with sky next year, would happily pay more than go with this awful company
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Avoid them at all cost, cost being the key word here.
    I signed up to virgin 2020 when they were offering anyone new a half price for a certain package, this seemed great at the time so went for it.
    Not once have I ever paid the discounted price. Every single month they took out the full price, and I messaged their WhatsApp which was easy and they would credit my account. This went on for months.
    I eventually made a formal complaint, which then took so long for them to sort because they wouldn't issue a refund, that it went through to small claims. Where they credited my account what I was due. And rather than charge me the discounted price as you logically would. They charge me the full amount and then immediately credit me the difference so I'm still getting charged the full amount. All because they refuse to give refunds.

For such a big company you'd expect it to be miles better than it is. Just avoid this lot no matter what.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The broadband goes down far too often. And every time we go through the same procedure where we call the helpline and do lots of checks, then they book a time for the engineer to come out. And every time, it is an area fault. Today they told me that they don't investigate faults until 5 people from the same area have complained! So it can be one or two days before it's fixes again. This happens far too often.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    I have been hit hard by the covid-19 outbreak, I'm part of the 5%of self employed who don't qualify for anything from the government and have literally had zero income for the past 3 months.
    Every other company I have dealt with have been understanding about the situation and have put a hold on my account for a few weeks until the work starts up again.
    When I couldn't pay my first bill I rang customer service to explain to them why it wouldn't be paid, they said there's nothing they can do about the bills but we wouldn't be switched off for the duration of the outbreak, just limited to slow service.

A month later I start getting threatening messages, about my account being sent to a debt recovery agency.
    I call the number on the message which starts an automated message telling you you can pay online then says hold on the line to speak to an advisor and cuts you off everytime.
    A few days later I get another message saying call the same number and we may be able to lower your bill, I call and get cut off again.
    I found a different number online and rang that then get passed around between four different people before someone would help me.
    I ended up talking to the collections department, I explained that I had no income and wouldn't be able to pay anything and spent the next 10 minutes with the advisor saying "if you pay this much today" and me replying "I have no income" on a loop.
    Eventually the lady said if I could pay £70 today they would credit the rest owed (around £30-£40).
    I told them I would see if I could borrow the money from somewhere and get back to them.
    My dad kindly agreed to lend me the money so I rang back about an hour after the last call only to find out the collections department closes earlier than the others so they'd send an email to the lady I'd dealt with earlier asking her to ring me tomorrow.
    The day after i don't get a phone call so I call them instead only to find it's impossible to speak to the same advisor for some reason and they can't do the credit.
    I then get another message saying I didn't pay the make the agreed payment of £70 and that it would affect my credit file.

Now I'm sat here after spending two days on the phone to virgin and getting absolutely nowhere, apparently with a worse credit rating than if I'd just ignored the debt
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    I have the XL package which is up to 20mbs broadband I have never had a download speed of more than 12mbs & that was in the middle of the night when traffic was almost down to nil, well, that is still quite fast i hear you say, & more than i would get on any telephone line, anywhere in the country, but, I'm paying £37.00 a month for the privilege. Ok, I get a discount because i have the xl tv package as well but its still a lot of money especially as its not reliable, Ive just recently had an engineer out to rectify a fault which stopped my broadband from working for almost two weeks, there is at the moment a wait of one week before an engineer can come out to you, this tells me that either they are desperatly short of staff, or, they are having so many problems that their engineers are struggling to cope, either way I'm not impressed. Finally, the most irratating thing is having to try and understand the person you are speaking to on the phone, as more often as not it is someone in India that speaks with a strong dialect and so fast that it is hard to make out what they are saying.
    P.S The TV service isn't much more reliable either.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Really frustrating and sad how easy and simple it is to set up an account vs cancelling it. I will never take Virgin media again as a broadband provider
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    In summary, terrible customer service. We needed to move house to an area that virgin media do not offer coverage. I therefore after 10years of being a virgin media customer needed to terminate my contract. Virgin media rewarded my 10 years loyalty with a £250 contract cancellation penalty. I wrote and phoned virgin media customer service to try and resolve They ignored me and I now have a debt collection agency chasing me. Very poor customer service. I will never buy a Virgin product again
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Undoubtedly slowest and least reliable ISP I have ever had! Stuck in a contreact and cant wait to escape.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    Virgin media have repeatedly acted in an unethical manner by - breaching data protections multiple times, closing complaints without contact to the customer, taking money out of customers accounts after being specifically told they no longer have permission to take money out, and it wasn't even money that was owed to them, they took all my money so I couldn't eat, and then told me it was my problem to go sort out, they have ignored a request to close my account despite acknowledging it on the phone, meaning I've had to pay an extra month by the time I submitted a second request. It's been a complete shambles and a tax on my mental health. While the service itself is fantastic, my suggestion is to avoid the company itself at all costs.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The most appalling wifi ever. I pay extra for so called super fast fibre optic. The truth is I've had better wifi in a Bangkok prison. Stay well clear!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Aweful service, regularly drops 5 to 6 times a day, its down to the way virgin configuire IP adresses, its illogical constantly overlapping and having proeblems. No other ISP has this problem.

When you ring them you get through after usually 20-30 mins, they give you crap excuses as to why its so bad and then they tell you to do the most basic things i.e turn the router off and on.

After spending about 2 hours talking to someone, all they did was tell me to do a whole power cycle, said they ran some things on their computer. When nothing had changed i rather angrily said, well do you think ive not tried that? its not going to work.
    They said that was all they could do so i moved to talk talk.

From what i gather virgin is great for fibre optic in cities. But if you going on normal cable they dont give a toss in terms of service or reliability. Do not go with them
  • Reviewer
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    We have been with Virgin for 9 years, and for all that time, all we have received is a load of CRAP.

We live in a fairly rural zone, so obviously you wouldn't expect fibre to be in our area. However, that is no excuse for the use of lines that are actually ERODING, making our internet among the slowest in the UK. As a student, internet in our day and age is key for my success, and when it's constantly running at speeds of up to 60 kb/s and/or shutting down on its own accord, how on earth am I supposed to get anything done?! I have had trouble sending off assignments to teachers, getting me into serious trouble, and all because Virgin couldn't get their bloody asses in gear and change the phone lines! Even if you walk up our road, you will see new lines in place. But not for us!! And we're paying what BT customers do for fibre! It's a bloody joke!

One time, the phone lines had been cut due to the winter storms. But when we called Virgin to inform them about the problem, they were absolutely useless!! We had to wait 5 days for it to come back online, and ever since then, it's never been the same. Whenever we call Virgin and complain about the reception, they tell us it's BT's fault because they own the lines. Then when we call BT, they tell us it's Virgin's fault, sending us in never ending circles.

I'm sick and tired of having internet which does nothing modern day internet should. I now know why they're called Virgin, it's because they have no experience at anything to do with internet!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Virgin ratings based on all the things you are looking for.

Package/sales - Good
    Broadband speed - Good

However as I soon came to realise the additional add ons

Automated phone system - They love to go through full background history check and pressing numbers, before you come anywhere close to get to the right department. So yes it is far too long winded and says thanks after every button you press which soon becomes a pest. So make sure your not in a rush and are patient and mentally prepare yourself for the call maybe a few stretches would be good release some tension.

Customer services - The worst on the planet full of fake answers. There favourite line is "will look into this for you and call you back" But after numerous calls I've had and the call backs I've requested I'd say a good 1/10 call you back. aswell as that you can not always understand what there saying as it's another outsource company who are given guidelines to follow who actually offer no help apart from what you already know.

Engineers - well upon installation you get advised a date which is great. So I booked a Friday off work to be told there going to be late. However 3pm they turn up due to the size of the job they couldn't start so a wasted day for myself and adios to a days annual leave. Best part is when they turn up and don't even tell you there leaving until their 30 Minutes down the road on the friday.

Sales - Sell you a great deal like £100 off your total costs. Which was said at the time your first bill and part of your 2nd bill will be free which is great news. But you guessed it I got a bill for 60 quid the first month to which i raised the issue and I was advised this will be sorted for the next 2 Months bills. I generally can't even remember their excuse that day guys sorry. However the 2nd month you guessed it I got another bill of you guessed it 60 quid after being promised this won't happen. Clearly they don't give a toss about your issue they just advise you what you want to hear. Their is clearly within Virgin obvious miscommunication between sales and customer service but after 3 months we finally came to a conclusion. I had to pay a one off fee of 70 quid and ended up getting my 100 quid by stopping the line rental for 10 months at 17.99.

They also say free Netflix for 6 months so any normal human being would think it comes free with the virgin box however doesn't tell you, you need to call them and set up your own account. Nor any paperwork giving you a guide when they sell you these deals of how to set up these add ons.

So once again I end up speaking to the customer service team to find out what code you need to do it so another military option going round the houses within virgin to find the right person to speak to before being told
    To phone netflix and doing your own install with the pin they provide you.

Today CHRISTMAS DAY I might add - router stuck on green flashing lights. I phone virgin they advise there's nothing they can do so
    I am stuck without wireless until the 28/12 when an engineer is available which is what I was advised. But don't worry virgin customer service gods never fail. Until I phoned back
    To see if there was anything they could do over the phone as it's Christmas they said an engineers will be appearing on the 31/12???? I was just told the 28/12 so the conversation once again turned sour.

So that's me without virgin all over the festive season lucky me and thank you virgin for a great year. I hope you are making many resolutions for 2017

That's that folks you really couldn't make it up I have had it with virgin i wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to virgin I would steer clear of these shambles. Utter utter disgrace.

If any company needs a top down reshuffle and audited its this shower of pony

Regards
    Tom
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Two guys came to install the system and after some fiddling around told me my b/band speed was about 200Mbs. My PC showed a speed of only 18Mbs. "Oh - but that's in a different location - here on my mobile phone I will show you what it is" - It showed about 200.
    His partner then showed me his mobile phone with a speed of about 200.
    I got my laptop and standing next to them both I could only get 18Mbs so I asked them to download the test site I was using; they declined saying their settings were more accurate. What I think was that their readings were nothing to do with a download speed check but simply a programme put onto their phones.
    I told them to remove their equipment and get out of my house. I immediately stopped the direct debit and when I complained to Virgin got nothing but waffle. What a load of lying cheats.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Breathtakingly bad is the first phrase that comes to mind. Speed is woeful and wildly unpredictable. I'm paying for 50mbs, but haven't reached those heights once in the last three months. Upload speeds are also shockingly bad - it can take half an hour just to to send an email. Customer service is useless - promises of engineer visits and fixes by certain dates have come to nothing.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Awful broadband, been out (or “intermittent” as they keep telling me) for about 3 weeks now. Not enough signal to refresh a web page any further than about 5 metres from the router. Fobbed off daily with excuses and lies about it being fixed. Already spent over £50 on data this month which they have refused to pay for. Not the first time this has happened either, broadband was out for roughly 6 weeks a year or so ago. Absolutely shocking (lack of) service. Please, please, please do not use Virgin Media.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Broadband is poor, drops out from time to time intermittently. Several times over 5 years, we had an engineer out to repair the connection, and every time it was the main signal station in our neighbourhood which was apparently, and I quote "A f**king mess to be honest". Nothing was done about that in all the time we've been with Virgin. The connection is not reliable enough to stream movies and TV shows.
    But the worst thing was when I phoned up to cancel our Virgin Media TV and just go to Freeview. Somehow the Virgin operative in the call centre I came through to hoodwinked me into spending £8.17 on an 18 month mobile broadband dongle contract. I have broadband at home and 4G on my EE mobile. I have no reason at all to need a dongle but the Virgin employee led me to believe that it was a freebie. I felt angry and humiliated every time I opened the cupboard that the mobile dongle was in, ashamed that I had been tricked into accepting it by Virgin Media. I have never, ever used it. Not once. I was conned.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Disgusted. Left them today after 22 years since the good old days of NTL. 2 hours and 20 minutes on the fone trying to get a better deal as they were going to up my bill by £10 a month, just like that! 3 'customer care' staff asked all my details again and again so in the end I quit. I'll give one of the smaller company's a go. Their advertised internet speed is a total fabrication. I paid for 100 mbps but was lucky to get 23! Bye-bye virgin, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Avoid them!
  • Reviewer
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Over for 3 years with Virgin media I never had any problems, internet speed was ok. Apart customer service nightmare ridiculous. When you signed a new contract they are very helpful,everything smooth and easy. But after when i decide to cancel contact after 3 years I felt like in the court, they were asking so many questions more likely personal questions which I don't have to tell at all what I'm going to do in the next 6-12 months, this is my personal things and you never know what's gonna happen tomorrow even. It took me more than two hours to cancel contact, I been transferred to many times to a different departments and been talking with 6-7 different people, also they disconnect me 3 times, first telling me can you wait I will put you on the hold and after 2-3 minutes you hear Lovely beep signal on your phone. I wasn't happy at all, ridiculous. Finally I had to ask for cancellation team manager, he was very helpful and cancel the contract. Cost for me to many nervous, in the end I had to take some medication to calm down, too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not happy at all and never gonna recommend for anyone........
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    worse ever customer service, they are masters to leave you on hold for hours.... useless ever customer service
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Don't recommend Virgin Media. Every month the bill is wrong- have to call them few times a month and issue still not resolved. they promised me amazing deal to stop me from cancelling, still charging me wrong amount. very disappointed...
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Absolutely appalling, paying for 100mb service only getting 3 to 4mb spoke to 7 people on their help lines, told by one of their support technicals that he will not be helping me, had a support technician out who managed to cut if the wifi trying to fix the problem, had a 2 hour long phonecard resulting in one of their operators insulting me and refusing to help, DO NOT USE VIRGIN MEDIA as a broadband provider.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Considering vergin media being the best high speed internet, that is all it is. People that work there have monkey hands that just point around not doing anything. I wish no one experience the horror I did with this company and to this day they still oll me money. I have stopped my internet as I moved to another house and wanted to send the router back, but the lable was lost in the moving process so I asked for a new one in my new house. Guess what, they send me a message after 10 days ill be charged??? So i called and told them to send me a new one - AGAIN, but guess what happened after... Another message saying theyll charge me. Well i wasnt that lucky the third time as I got directly charged. What kind of idiots are doing this ??? What kind of a company is this/!?!?!?
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      4 stars
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    I have had virgin services on and off over the past 20 years. Yes they have their flaws but so does others! I just switched back to them simply because my BT services had to be reported several times a day to work normally. What you guys need to realise that if th live in middle of no where you will have more issues about broadband and telephone. J live in a town it's a decent size town and we dont get issues. I on my left virgin before because they were expensive. Now they have a £29 deal for all 3 services I tried all others and they charge more for once virgin is the cheapest. Oh 1 more thing most internet providers now will lock you in to 18 months contracts virgin still 12 months only.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    customer service positively 'stinks', in fact, it DOES'NT exist
    17 times i've tried, cut off each time before i even got a chance to speak to anybody .on the last attempt, i did manage to speak with a real human but , apparently it was'nt his dept. & then cut me off.
    the reason i changed from TalkTalk was poor customer service too but at least it was easier, a helluva lot easier to speak with an operator. i never, EVER thought any media company could sink below TalkTalk but, there IS one,...VIRGIN MEDIA. i was also thinking of Virgin Mobile contract but no chance now. counting down the days to the end of my 12 month contract. that's if it has'nt been terminated by then. i've fired off compliants to the Ombudsman & also WATCHDOG BBC.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    We've just been conned into re-contracting with VM for another year. After our initial year they were putting the prices up significantly. I shopped around and then spoke to their 'retention' department. I was instantly offered a lower price, and what seemed like a good TV upgrade deal. However, days later, the order had not gone through. I had to ring multiple times and basically got told they would not honour the previous agreement. So patronising (I used to work for another provider, and hold a Masters degree in Telecommincation Engineering, but they treat me like I'm an idiot). Pack of lies. We're now stuck with them as my back was against the wall. I wish I'd switched. Shouldn't have touched them with a bargepole!

This is the latest of the issues I've had with them. Soon after we had their BB my email stopped working. They blamed all my clients (on iOS, Windows, Ubuntu and Android) when it was their servers. Had to refer to CISAS who found in my favour but VM were very slow to pay the compensation awarded. Took months to resolve and they only 'fixed' it by accident. So many issues and a lack of quality.

If it's working the speed is generally good (especially as we can't currently get VDSL here) though the TV service leaves much to be desired with missed recordings and the like. We've enjoyed advertised speeds with no sign of contention, good latency and reasonably reliable WiFi from the Arris hub. However, when things go wrong, and they will, the Customer Service is dire and is bad on so many levels. Be suspicious of a firm that cannot even get basics like their website to work properly without broken links for functions like 'contact us' - or insist you ring them but cut you off after ages of robot voices and music on hold. Not recommended.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Speed is great when it works but that’s the problem. I’ve been with virgin about 3 months and so far I’ve had about 3 occasions that it’s been down. May not seem much but in the previous 4 years with sky I had one time with no internet. Don’t think I’ll renew with virgin when my contact is up.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Without a doubt, the most unreliable service and worse customer service.

After signing up to a 12-month contract in April 2018, they are now claiming that I agreed to a new contract during the course of a technical support call, after siting that I was paying £60/month for a service that was not being delivered.

They are now attempting to charge an additional exit fee for a contract that was never agreed, without reading out my terms and conditions.

6 months, getting download speeds between 5-15mgbs, on an m200 package, is quite disgraceful.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    Had to mark speed and reliability as high as we have had no problem with either. We just up graded our equipment with them. Engineer came out Saturday lunch time with the new TV box and router. Fitted both and could not get either working. Told to wait 2 hrs. Waited and nothing. Called customer service ha ha . Told engineer had to call and no one available untill Tuesday. That is incompetence not service..
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    The last couple of months the speed has been consistant but before that it dropped to below 1mb. Oly 1 of the Virgin 'Techs' did any thing but the minimum to help.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      2 stars
    Comments
    Virgin media avoid like the plague
    Utter total rubbish problem s week after week useless customer service total ripoff will never use again now with bt very good service and much cheaper
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    The epitome of poor service. And bad practice.

Firstly, the rental goes up every year, often by large amounts. Our basic subscription jumped from £20/month (after last year's renegotiation) to £40/month after 1 year. The only way to reset this is to cancel (again) - really cancel, and then wait for them to call back a few days later with much reduced rates. In our case down to £12/month. But obviously this will revert again after another 12 months. If you're prepared to go through this hoop every 12 months, good luck to you. For me, this is indicative of their attitude to their customers. See what they can get away with. Make you go through hoops to bring the rate back down. Slide it back up again afterwards. Not an attitude I'm happy with.

Secondly, the actual router/modem/internet service was poor. Often dropping out or running slowly. Many times a reset of the router/modem was required.

Now trying other providers in the hope of finding one with good service and that doesn't inexorably increase its charges. If such a beast exists, I'll become a loyal customer.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    All round terrible experience. When I first signed up, I did it through Quidco to get cashback worth £140. Factoring this into the overall cost made it an 'OK' deal. However, after 6 months, Virgin decoded not to pay out, so be aware if you get suckered I to one of these offers, Virgin don't pay out.
    Secondly, throughout the entire length of the contract I was supposed to get 500mb download speeds. The best speed I actually got on a rare day (perhaps 3 days in the full 18 months) was 100mb. There were lots of times when it was as low as 2mb. After lots of arguments, I was able to cancel the contract a few months early and as far as I was aware, I b
    Paid what I owed and we should have been done. They cancelled my online account, so I could no longer check balances etc. A few months later, they issue me a default for £23, which has now screwed my credit rating.
    Overall an appalling product, terrible service, poor value for money, they don't pay out on cashback and they will deviously screw your credit rating without making you aware you owe anything and make it impossible for you to even check.
    AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      4 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    My service was 2mbps & I never got below that. It's been upgraded free to 10mbps & I think the result of this test is excellent.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    I had been with NTL/VIRGIN for going on 12 years,but left last month as the cost was to much and there overseas helpline is the worst you could have.
    I signed up with Plus-Net and got the first 6 months free and there customer service helpline is the best you will ever see and it's based in the good old UK.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The worst broadband in the uk. Down more time than working. I pay for 50k speed but when I run a check (often) it’s more like 8. Every year they put the price up by over £2 you ring to cancel and they magically reduce the price still higher tho.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    How could Virgin Media treat us so badly? Their computer mistake led them to chase my husband for 5 months for money he didn't owe them. Then they gave him a negative credit rating. When they realised their mistake they didn't say sorry, just removed their note against his credit rating. Even after an independent adjudicator (CISAS) judged against the company in our favour it took them 3 months for them to apologise - and they didn't even bother to write on company headed paper or post it to us; just a plain sheet signed 'on behalf of...' Mark Davidson. It seems we can do nothing to get a proper apology. In my powerlessness I just felt the need to add my name to the many others on this list who have suffered at the hands of Virgin Media's frightful customer service. Group hug!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Shameful treatment !!! Was due to get installed 17th. Had 3 phone calls asking why i had cancelled?? I had not. Apparently the technician had been and i told him i wanted to cancel.NO TECHNICIAN BEEN and i DID NOT CANCEL!! I was then given a later daye which was no good and was told it was my fault for cancelling. I DID NOT CANCEL. Terrible customer service before installation. AVOID
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Broadband not as fast as they state & sales offer deals which they will not honour. Been with them for years but not for much longer.

The reviews published on this page are those of the individual authors who have warrantied that they abide by our review guidelines. Reviews are not the opinion of Broadband.co.uk.