Virgin Media Broadband Reviews

Sometimes the best way to get a feel for a broadband provider is to read what those who are already customers think of the service they're receiving. Below are all the reviews we've received for Virgin Media.

Recent Customer Ratings for Virgin Media

• Satisfaction
    3 stars
  • Customer Service
    2.8 stars
  • Speed
    3.2 stars
  • Reliability
    3 stars

Based on 993 customer ratings since 2023-05-09 (Show all time ratings)

Visit Virgin Media   Read our Virgin Media buyers guide

Ratings are left by users of our speed test as well as by reviewers. Recent star ratings summarise the last 12 months of ratings or the last 100 ratings placed, whichever is largest.

4,684 Customer Reviews over 118 pages

• Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    We always seem to get a connection, but we're paying for 50 mb and only get around 2-3mbs. Very frustrating!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    Comments
    Goes down more than any broadband I've had in the last 10 years. Constant equipment failures, service interrupts, and slow as government service during the peak times. BT was much, much better on all fronts.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      4 stars
    Comments
    Customer service is shocking. Virgin Media Payments continually failed to correctly set up our direct debit and correct billing period leading to month after month of payment issues and repeated suspension of services. Each time we called they would apologise, refund charges, reinstate services and attempt to resolve the issue.... Next month it would all happen again!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Spoke to customer services today having tried to get through Monday with no luck as the system was down since Sunday morning no phone or TV coverage second time in a month last month off for 2 days
    Was told as i never got through on my mobile!!! it would not be classed as a technical failure!!! are you kidding me was not going to stay on my mobile all day and night hoping someone may answer absolute JOKE!
    Worst thing is tried to cancel and was told i would have to pay up to April as that's when contract runs out well let me tell you direct debit cancelled you can send every debt collector in the country out you still wont have any money off me will go to court don't care how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      4 stars
    Comments
    rude unhelpful staff, after being with them over 5 years costing me approx £6k . on leaving them and owing just £40 which i paid 2 weeks late because i was out of the country they bad on my credit file - repossession critically in arrears which is still on there 2 years later ........ i have phoned them and still no joy , totally ripped my credit score apart ... avoid these if you value your credit score .......
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    If there was an option to give zero stars I would!
    Broadband claims are disgustingly inaccurate. I am currently on 100mbps with Virgin however I often receive less than 1mbps and I have multiple speed test results to prove it. Virgin themselves seem to do nothing but read a few lines from their script giving customers the poor excuse that 'its peak times' 'network traffic' etc etc.. I have speed results of less than 1mbps from all hours of all days in the week. Virgin was also recently on BBC's watchdog for false speed claims. Avoid at all cost! I have since moved to BT who offer lower max speeds however I reached those speeds with much greater frequency.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    was with virgin media for around 5 years with nothing but trouble on a regular basis with either the internet going down or tv going down...the reason why I stayed so long was because of the amount of devices I had running through the internet....2 pcs 4 ps4s 2 ps3s and a couple smart tvs….which Netflix was playing on a regular basis on 4 devices at same time.....so thought bigger broadband was better...but six months ago...had enough of virgin and decided to jump to sky.....and wow..im running all the devices that I was running on virgin and no internet or tv down....word of advice for people when virgin turn around and say that there will be a final bill when all of the virgin devices are back to them..to make sure its done in the first month of ending virgin as if it goes over... virgin put it as a late payment on your credit.....which gives you bad credit
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Absolutely pathetic. my advice to people who are tempted to have it installed DON'T if you do install you will regret it...
    i was promised 50mb i get 13mb on a good day, Try to contact THEM you will spend at least 40 minutes waiting for an answer, the person who eventually answers will not have a clue make up some excuse and tell you to phone again in 24 hours, you have an option of pressing 1 and they will phone back 3 times i have done this i am still waiting for the call 6 days later.
    They genuinely are the WORST COMPANY i have ever had the misfortune to use.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Again twice today my broadband has gone down. This is a regular occurrence. Can't wait for next price increase and I'm off. Virgin media are unreliable.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    Comments
    I too was seduced by the lure of super-fast broadband, so signed up to Virgin's VIVID200 package. What a mistake, because on a good day I'm lucky if I get 20Mbps, with regular disconnections. A friendly engineer has visited, and replaced the router and internal cabling, but it has unfortunately not helped. Don't believe their sales pitch of real average speeds. I now feel conned, and think this represents a clear case of misselling. In the part of Brixton (London) I live it would appear they simply don't have a properly functioning network or capacity to deliver a decent service. I now have to make peace with the fact that I will have to make do with a poor broadband service for the next few months until my 12 month contract ends and I move to another provider. As a footnote, I have just run another speed test and guess what, I achieved 9.98Mbps - nowhere near the promised 200Mbps I signed up for! If you do want to move to Virgin, I suggest you sign up for a single month to test out what they are able to deliver to your home before contracting for a longer term.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Anyone but Virgin. Possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced from such a global giant. Shocking is not a strong enough word. If you can get someone else do it. I am a very patient and quite person who does not get up set by much. However the daylight robbery of our money for the service provided leaves me upset. Never a stable connection and when you call CS it would appear they are only interested in getting you off the phone. Thanks Richard. Time to clean house I think.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Anyone but Virgin. Possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced from such a global giant. Shocking is not a strong enough word. If you can get someone else do it. I am a very patient and quite person who does not get up set by much. However the daylight robbery of our money for the service provided leaves me upset. Never a stable connection and when you call CS it would appear they are only interested in getting you off the phone. Thanks Richard. Time to clean house I think.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      4 stars
    • Customer Service
      5 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    Wanted fast reliable broadband, got exactly that. Little bit more expensive on the broadband but you get what you pay for - so would never go anywhere else now.

Catch up and on demand works well with the new V6 box.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    I have been a Virgin customer ever since they took over NTL, nearly 20 years.
    Unfortunately they are stealth robbers, constantly increasing my broadband monthly bill (even after I have re-negotiated a new deal) without informing me and hoping that I do not notice the increase.
    I rang them to complain about their latest stealth increase and I was informed that if I wanted to cancel my contract I would have to pay them £169 for the time remaining on the contract (even though they had broken their side of the contract by increasing my bill without informing me).
    I will be seeking legal advice as to whether their £169 exit payment is legally binding, as I did not sign the previous contract that they sent due to the fact that they had not honoured the previous one.
    Customer service is appalling and you get passed from person to person, all of whom bluff their way through by trying to justify any cost increase.
    Richard Branson, your company is a joke and needs investigating.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Remember those Virgin Media adverts with the "no more buffering" promises. Hollow, every one. Do they care? They are well aware that they have failed me as a customer (given many, many support calls) and that seems not to bother them in the slightest. For those that VM cable works then great. For those that it doesn't - shift ASAP: it won't get any better.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    ****DO NOT JOIN VIRGIN FOR ANY SERVICES…
    ****DO NOT JOIN VIRGIN FOR ANY SERVICES ESPECIALLY BROADBAND*****

If I could give less than 1 star or minus I definitely would award this company the crappiest service ever.

If you join Virgin Media you will be paying for intermittent and complete loss of service. You will be told you can be compensated but the service is completely lost so you still need to pay for your service in full even though you sat there for a full weekend with no services.

This like most companies is a joke and they just want your money.

The worst service ever!!!! Keep looking but don't settle or promote this complete waste of service. You will regret the day you signed up, believe me!!!!

They will even reply to this like they are gonna look after me but in reality they will waste your time, resolve nothing and ask for a review
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Is Virgin the worst broadband provider in the country. I made the mistake of moving over in August and the WiFi hadn’t worked properly since, having to sit thru the constant buffering and even though they originally agreed to come and fix it changed their mind unless I paid for it. Their useless call centre transfers you from one department to another, so I paid for the technician to come out and they’ve made it worse. They now refuse to come out a second time without me paying for it and one let slip you get buffering a lot in weekends due to high demand in the area. They never said that when they took my money. What a joke. I now have to go to the ombudsman. Hopeless
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The service of this company is disgusting
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Terrible. Runs at 1mb/s and more than half the time they are having problems and "The Internet may not be available" so I can't browse broadband.co.uk for better networks!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Fast broadband is useless when it doesn't work most of the time. We've had constant outages since we joined 6 months ago. Virgin Media are well aware of the problem, and it's not limited to our house - the whole area is affected.

We call multiple times a week, but customer service are absolutely useless (they're not even technically part of Virgin Media, but instead are outsourced so they can't actually provide any useful information).

Yet they're doing nothing about it. Constantly told that an engineer is working on the problem, and that it'll be fixed in a few days. Never happens.

Even worse. We can't cancel our contract without incurring an £80 penalty fee, because Virgin record the intermittent outages (i.e out for 10 minutes at a time, every half hour) as separate incidents, and thus the outage doesn't last long enough to trigger the cancellation clause.

We're literally being held hostage.

Avoid at all costs.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Awful service from the start,WiFi,speed always having issues,still living of awards they got 4 years ago,and customer service isn't the best especially when you can't here them as the wifi/broadband is rubbish,can't wait to get out of this contract
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Comments
    Avoid at all costs. Everything has been awful from the moment we signed up. Firstly, we booked the date for them to come and set up, waited in all day, and nobody came. No reason was ever given, we were never informed, we had to call to rearrange, which of course meant waiting a couple of weeks until another opening.

Now, 4 months into our contract, we regret every day the decision to go with Virgin. Firstly, the signal doesn't reach all the rooms, even of our very small flat, we have had to purchase 3 signal boosters for a 4 bedroom flat. Secondly, we pay for 152mbps, but you could count on one hand the number of times we have even approached this. The combination of poor wi-fi signal, and low speeds mean it's not unusual to get speeds below 5, or sometimes even 1, mbps in the bedrooms.

Thirdly, it regularly stops working totally. It's extremely rare for a day to pass where it doesn't drop out, with drop outs lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple of hours. We have to turn the router on and off again a couple of times, most days. We have had them come and replace our router for a new one, which has changed nothing.

Fourthly, our experience with customer service has not been positive, with them showing little enthusiasm for trying to help us improve our experience.

Fifth, they have just informed us the price is going £3/month, despite the fact we already vastly over pay for the quality of service.

If you are considering Virgin, reconsider. When this contract is over, I will chose ANY other provider, even if it means paying the same for a 'slower' speed, as all Virgin's big promises about speed are empty.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Very poor service. It's a pity that the rest are poor too. Service continually drops out during the day with signicantly lower than advertised speeds during peak times, sometimes as low as 1% of "up to" speed. Excuses by VM are not valid.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Whatever you do, don't show them any loyalty. At the end of my contract, they put the price up by £15/month. Retentions said that if I cancelled my contract then they would cut me off for 30 days and I would regret it!
    Go ahead, cut me off.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Don’t even go there spent longer on the phone than wall streets biggest hitter, whilst trying to cancel the account luckily before it started in contract they just tried to sell me more. Clearly only a day training for customer service, it was comical
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Their customer service is atrocious. You can’t speak to someone on the phone and my contract came off it’s 24 month period and immediately doubled in price without warning. They also won’t allow their existing customers to access their deals for new customers despite the fact that the wiring is all there for it and it should be a simple online exercise. Oh no, they’ve made that super difficult and you end up spending 45 minutes to be told that you can’t have the same deal as that for a new customer. That’s just shoddy.

The speed was fine and was relatively reliable.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Sub standard in every way. I have been a customer for many years but have now had enough. Reliability is too poor to be able to work from home. Outages are frequent and without explanation or apology, despite my reporting them through the online fault reporting page. When I called to cancel my contract I was put through to an aggressive sales person who was determined to stop me from leaving. It transpired that they could see in their system that my equipment was faulty and my connection speed below normal but they had done nothing about it. Looking forward to not having to deal with this lot ever again.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    I have been with virgin media 11yrs rang andasked why I get loads of crap phone calls as am x directory and they blamed me asked how much to ad tv tomy package was told 100mb anytime calls and mix tv package 40 then 41 asked what channels mix tv was got told mix so I said I would call back when id looked at the channel list when I rang back I got the most inconsiderate costomer service moron he told me it was 57 got told of his manager he had put 51 down I told him look at the call log I was told 40 then 41 said id leave there not bothered avoid like the plague i would advise not to go to virgin they slow you down even when you have unlimited broad band and offer new costomers better deals
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Really poor customer service. Make it extremely hard to cancel.

Fast speeds but not worth the hassle.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Terrible in all respects. Have been a loyal customer for a few years but the negotiation around contract renewals, the ways they deal with customer complaints and the general disregard for loyal customers make it an all time low. If i could give it a zero I would.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Not good at all very very slow infact rubbish
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    terrible connection from the very 1st day. Non existent customer service by call handlers who don't care. 12 months later same issues with connection still ongoing. In the process of complaining to Arbitration service. WORST ORGANISATION EVER!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Been with virgin media since it took over NTL....moved 3 months ago and broadband speeds are negligible, too much buffering and sometimes no connection. Rang to cancel and told I cant without paying 225 as apparently i started a new contract the day I moved! Feel I have been unfairly treated because at no time did they tell me I had to start a new contract.....the last 10 years of being a customer is not taken into consideration. Customer service is appalling..
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      4 stars
    Comments
    I ordered VM a month in advance of when I wanted it to start, this is because I had a notice period with my existing tv and broadband supplier.
    Virgin dispatched the start-up kit 2 days before I was gone connected (which was a day before the Easter Bank Holidays).
    Yodel had issues with my parcel and it remained at the sorting office.
    I chased virgin media 3 days in a row for an up date and received different messages each time
    1. Wait another 24 hours and call back (4days after my connection should have started)
    2. We'll chase yodel and call you back tomorrow (5 days after connection should have started)
    3. They didn't call me back, I called them and was told it would be with me in 4 days - 10 days later than scheduled

As you imagine I am without Internet and tv (not so big a deal) for some time and when you have children in the 21st century then they depend upon the Internet quite abit.

The customer service received by Virgin has been terrible and I was warned about this by Sky but thought it scare mongering. As it turns out, VM have the worst customer service for new customers I have experienced to date and should be ashamed.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Shocking. Staff incompetent or dishonest. Superhub does not allow download of software updates - multiple platforms.

Lose service on average for a day a week. I have to have a dongle plugged into PC and freeview box by TV to ensure I have some service.

The WORST company I deal with by far
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    Virgin offer a great service and the bundle package for £19.00 is great then they stick £11.99 line rental on it and that is what spoils it if someone is having phone tv and broadband the least you can do is knock the £11.99 line rental off i now have a tv which we only watch gold on a land line i dare not use except at weekends when calls are free and a broadband connection that is great the first company to offer all this or just broadband without line rental will corner the market on telephone landlines and internet users i am more than happy with my broadband but if it says broadband for £5.00 then it should be for £5.00 with no hidden costs if there is line rental to pay then this should be made clear so you cannot get broadband for £5.00 but for £16.99 and there should be no rise after 3 months if you want to get customers then be clear on prices and what you are selling it is price that has driven me away from virgin and by this date 09/10/2010 i have only been with virgin for 2 weeks if there is no change it will end.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The WiFi connection is complete garbage. I pay for 150mb/s but I only get 2mb/s. It’s a piss take. When you try and contact them you can never get a hold of anyone because they are “too busy”. I think this is code word for they don’t give a flying fritter. Do not use virgin media as your internet provider. Whoever created the super hub needs hung by their ankles and slaughtered.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Virgin Media The Worst Broadband Provider On Planet Earth
    Virgin Media provide the worst of the worst customer service and keep putting their prices up and up and up and up. They are planning to increase my bill by 100% with no customer benefits whatsoever. Their call center staff are pushy, aggressive and totally unhelpful. With such poor service, their business must be suffering and to compensate, their remaining loyal customers are charged more whilst the sensible ones leave. Just look at their Trustpilot ratings, surely someone at Virgin must be looking at this and saying,,,,, boy have we got it wrong? or are they just too arrogant?
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Virgin are great until something breaks, and then they are completely useless. Worst customer service I've ever received- six 20-odd minutes calls out of seven were cut off, the 'we'll definitely fix it by 7pm tonight, honest' promise has turned into three days without broadband, and they've cancelled the engineer's visit on wednesday because they expected to have fixed it before then. They haven't. I'm moving to BT as soon as I can prove that they've breeched their contract to avoid disconnection charges.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Really bad customer service. Never reach an agent in half an hour via online chat or phone call. Very complex to leaving virgin. Be careful when you think of joining virgin.

The reviews published on this page are those of the individual authors who have warrantied that they abide by our review guidelines. Reviews are not the opinion of Broadband.co.uk.