Virgin Media Broadband Reviews

Sometimes the best way to get a feel for a broadband provider is to read what those who are already customers think of the service they're receiving. Below are all the reviews we've received for Virgin Media.

Recent Customer Ratings for Virgin Media

• Satisfaction
    3 stars
  • Customer Service
    2.8 stars
  • Speed
    3.2 stars
  • Reliability
    3 stars

Based on 992 customer ratings since 2023-05-08 (Show all time ratings)

Visit Virgin Media   Read our Virgin Media buyers guide

Ratings are left by users of our speed test as well as by reviewers. Recent star ratings summarise the last 12 months of ratings or the last 100 ratings placed, whichever is largest.

4,684 Customer Reviews over 118 pages

• Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Student at Swansea university, in a house with 5 others, virgin seemed the perfect choice of broadband provider so we could all be online at the same time when we needed to do assignments or for streaming video. The service (when it worked) was fine, fast enough for all 6 of us. I'd signed up to a 9 month student contract. Once this device period was up, and we'd all moves out however, the next months of food money had been taken from my bank, and they were still billing me. After querying this via their online email form (as there is no way you can actually email someone specific and their phone lines are always full of people complaining, or closed), the explanation I received by what I can only described as a barely readable and and lazy reply was that I was now on a rolling contact became I did not call them to 'cancel' by services. My contact states a minimum service period of 9 months, and no where did I agree to any longer when I made an account online. I was not aware you had to give notice to 'cancel' and contact that was supposed to run out anyway! I replied to them with this, and was ignored.
    I felt I wasn't valued as a customer, that I was being exploited as a 'young naive student', and now they are hassling me for bills issued from when I wasn't even resident at the property. DO NOT USE VIRGIN. Customer service like I have never revived before - non-existent.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    every year the price goes up.to talk to a live person in case of a problem with the service, you need to call several times.lately, there is very often no internet
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Worst Broadband service they always have area outage and service interruption. Because of them I lost 3-4 days work every month. They don't send technician to your home, as there is an area outage. When I try to cancel the contract cancellation team asks you How many times engineer visited your Home (at least three times a month an engineer has to visit before cancellation). But they wont send engineer to your home that easily. technical team and customer relationship team don't interacts - they ask customer to coordinate with two teams. Overall its worst network and customer service.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    worst network and customer service
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    We have send Tv box back to them but now they charge for Equipment 150 pound after 5 years when we have cancel virgin media broadband,
    Please Read Terms and condition very carefully
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Comments
    by contract speed 100 but in reality 4-10mbs.and its like 1 month like that and they cant fix it.Plus service is bad and engineers are rubbish.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    I waited 3 weeks to get installation on Saturday. Virgin managed to send me 2 emails and 3 messages reminding me to stay in. On the agreed day nobody showed up – I called them at 6pm and was told technician was delayed and will be there shortly. I cancelled my plans and stayed in. In two hours called them again – they said they did not know why nobody came and I am marked as ‘missed appointment’. Then I was told to call back the next day so they can check the details. (oh, and on Sunday 9am I was woken up by an automated call asking to evaluate their support).
    I called on Sunday and was told they did not know anything as the team responsible is not available on Sundays. The support promised to check everything and call me back Monday morning at 9am.
    Of course, they did not.
    I called them myself at 9.30am. All they could offer was to wait another 3 weeks – I told this was unacceptable, they put me on hold for 10 minutes and then hung up.
    After a couple attempts to speak to them online, I called and cancelled the broadband. If Virgin does not want my money, another provider will.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Comments
    I wish I could give them less than 1. We have recently moved house and went to Virgin to get an internet connection. They explained that it will get time, as they need to check whether our house is serviced or not. We had an engineer's meeting arranged in a week's time. On the actual day this person went to completely different address in different town (3 hours away from where we live). After we went to Virgin to re-arrange the engineer's visit they said that our house is not serviced so there is nothing they could do. In a couple of days we have received a new tenant letter saying "welcome to the new property. It is serviced by Virgin and we would like to offer our internet for you". Was it some kind of a joke from the company? Btw there is a Virgin box on the house servicing neighbors. No idea how these idiots work, but glad we are not with them and not paying them
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    Complete rip off. We have been with Virgin since past 6 years. No problem what so ever till 5.5 years. Since last 6 months sudden price jump to more than double without any written notice. And now on termination they hike the price again so in short they don't care about existing customer.
    Worst thing is, the price is more for just broadband as compare to broadband with phone and tv. What a cheeky way to sell everything even though nobody uses telephone line these days
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      5 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    I am completely satisfied with VMs service especially now we have 5Mb upload just around the corner. Customer service has always been good. There have never been any outages and speeds are virtually always at or slightly above 50Mb.

Can't wait for 100Mb/10Mb
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      4 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    I have been completely satisfied with my package and supplier. I have consistently achieved the full 50Mb/1.5Mb down/up speed I am supposed to. There have never been any outages. The supplied wireless 'n' router has provided high broadband speeds throughout my home network. VM should consider a router with gigabit ethernet capabilities now. Also I am looking forward to their 10:1 download/upload ratio. About time too.

Customer services have always come up with answers to technical queries, although sometimes I have had to wait a long time for a response.

The TV service is really good, keeping up to date with new technology and with good deals with Sky.

NB I am currently on VMs 200Mb download trial in Coventry. Your speed tester cannot cope with that speed. Time for you to upgrade especially with 100Mb rolling out any time now.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      3 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    The speed is good,but the customer service is horrible. I can't view my bills online as I can't create a account and this has been reported since I got the connection. Every week I get a call from virgin media call center to check the issue and no one has bothered to fix it. Two months and the issue still persists.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      5 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    I am totally satisfied with VM's service. I get 104Mb/9.7Mb 24/4. My ping is generally below 10ms with jitter no more than 1. The icing on the cake is 120Mb/12Mb by the end of May.
    I have never been traffic managed and have had only one fault since 2007. When I have contacted customer services they have always got the job done, even off-shore call centres. The TV service is excellent. I have a VIP package with 1Tb TIVO and an HD box. They do what it says on the box.
    Recently I have been part of the new superhub2 trial. This is an excellent modem router that certainly improves on SH1. It completely out performs the BT Infinity hub by all accounts. I can pick up the WiFi 50 meters down my garden and strongly anywhere in my house. Even my android phone gets a download speed of 25Mb. Thanks VM.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      4 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    My experience has been second to none. I get my full 50Mb any time of day and night and have never had an outage in 24 months on this package. My upload is always 4.7Mb+. My connection has no packet loss and 0 jitter most of the time.
    Customer service, even off-shore has generally been good for me.
    Isn't it a pity that the speedtest at broadband.co.uk doesn't support Virgin speeds of 50Mb and 100Mb. Their customer service say the speed test doesn't support cable platforms. That makes this site biased in favour of ADSL and copper.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    They are unreliable, useless, liars and they kept us with no service for months..kept lying and pushing and changing dates
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      2 stars
    Comments
    We were with virgin media for years and my mom did not notice they have been increasing the rental every year. It says 100mbps but speed drops when I stream. WiFi disconnects couple of times per day and then need to reconnect. They advertise that they have highest internet speed but when I compare Vodafone 38mbps (My new provider) no noticeable different. We could have left Virgin years ago. Anyway finally did.
  • Reviewer
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Speed
      3 stars
    Comments
    Virgin Media is fast but it keeps disconnecting. They blocked us once for no reason so overall I give them two stars. It's so rubbish do not buy it.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    It was terrible experience. Customer service is non-existent. Constantly increasing prices and trying to trick you so that you pay extra (like upgrade and then they charge you for cancellation and give you upgrade for extra cost).
    To resolve any issue takes 3-4 calls.
    The speed was alright, but quite frequent outages and when the cable is broke in takes a week to fix.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    In recent weeks, our virginmedia cable internet connection has regularly been down, during the day and during the night. Rarely a day passes that it doesn't go off for some time. When it is up, it is very slow inspite of supposedly being "supercharged up to 50mb". Totally unreliable and very annoying.
  • Reviewer
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Comments
    Virgin media are absolutely terrible for gaming, high ping, high jitter and when trying to get hold of support you get put through to someone in Malaysia or India that goes through their "script" each time you call, effectively getting you nowhere and wasting your money on the call.

On my second support call (which took an hour of ping and trace route testing) I was told there was a problem and it would get escalated to "the second tier" and would be called the following day to get the problem sorted.

No call the following day and when I called them in the evening they started back at square one, trying to log into my router and change the MTU and not even acknowledging what had happened the previous day even though they had all the details sent to them in an email.

On the third call I got through to the "technical manager" who simply went did the same thing that the very first person I called did, logged into my router and changed the MTU and upgraded the router firmware.

Stay far away from Virgin if you want decent internet for gaming and any form of support, I have done a ton of research online on all the major UK ISPs and virgin wins by far in the complaints department.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Customer Service
      2 stars
    • Speed
      2 stars
    Comments
    Terrible service all around. I switch from Talk Talk to Virgin and its jut nightmare. So much things went wrong. I could not connect my smart home devices, wifi printer. They want me to pay extra to make my wifi printer to work with Virgin wifi )) Then I had problem when I reboot router all my device will lose connection and I need to type manually password on ALL my wifi devises in order to get connected. Every week we a had bad connection problem and we need to call then, then call again. Its jut not worth time you are westing on broadband! I dont have time for these calls and fixing problem! I want it working!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    We have to cancel contract in jun because we move to new adress and there was ready one virgin internet.They say no problem but 180 because we not say this early(we was call them 30 day before)...ok we say we pay.When we moving to new adress,they spamming letter to us why we not pay 280 :D They say u must pay this amount because this the price etc...ok we say we ready pay 180 so what ? No its was wrong information its now 280.So we have to pay 100 more for nothing basicly. We pay wewas happy finally its end..Now Sept 10 and i still have new letter with insult not payed amount.Worst company ever.
    + in the new adress the router terrible and the landlord call them million times and they not want change or nothing...
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      2 stars
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Constant drop connection if you are a gamer or like to stream vids or netflix keep away good speed but unreliable service you will keep getting disconnected go with a more reliable service over speed. When I had issues please see how the handled it(it's terrible). The technical team is not trained to handle calls I had some on walk away from their phones and not tell me they are going to put me on hold, I had someone blatant lie to me about they cannot make outbound calls when the previous guy called me back, I had someone even hang up on me as I was expressing my frustrations which made it worse. I eventually got an engineer to come around a week later to only be told that there is a fault on the line and I have to wait another month to get internet. When I finally called to terminate the service the guy I was speaking kept trying to sell me things instead of trying to get my service up and running faster. Dealing with this issue has been absolutely unbearable.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Virgin Media's service experience has been deeply unsatisfactory. Despite their promises, the quality of service provided is subpar, making it a challenge for customers to receive the value they expect. Furthermore, their cancellation process is frustratingly opaque. When attempting to cancel the service three months ago, assurances were given that the cancellation would be processed. However, this conversation was misleadingly marked as 'dropped,' leading to continued billing for a service that was neither used nor desired. This miscommunication has resulted in an unexpected and unwarranted demand for an additional month's notice, adding to the overall dissatisfaction with Virgin Media's service.

The company's practices raise serious concerns about their commitment to customer satisfaction and transparency. Not only does the difficulty in cancelling services create a barrier for customers wishing to discontinue, but the misclassification of a cancellation request as a 'dropped' call feels deceptive. This experience reflects a broader issue with the company's approach to customer relations, where the emphasis seems to be more on retaining revenue than genuinely addressing customer needs. The requirement of an additional month's notice, despite no usage of their services in the past three months, further illustrates a disregard for fair and reasonable customer service practices.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    DO NOT GET INTERNET FROM THEM. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.
    I have purchased the highest Broadband speed package 300MB/s (Fiber Optic to the home) on 17/11/2017.
    First 2 days was working fine. Then, every morning I would get about 20Mb/s download speeds. This is the second time I am trying my chances with Virgin Media.
    2 years back I had a similar situation as I was with Virgin Media and I found myself calling them almost weekly to fix my internet.
    My opinion: Poor service, unreliable. What is advertised on the internet it's a bunch of lies.
    I would give them 0 stars if I could.
    Hope this helps you guys reconsider opening a contract with this company.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Internet was quite fast, but not reliable.
    Impossible to play online - every 10 seconds games freezes for 1.5-2 seconds due to bad ping.
    After the end of contract I received a bill for 19 pounds. The only explanation was 'changes to bundle', but I didn't requested any changes. Furthermore after the end of a contract.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Absolutely appalling speed! No value for money!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Speed
      2 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    I found the staff do not care about the customers and feel that as they are hidden in a foreign call centre that they can lie to customers to fob us off! I regret joining them as the hassle and stress they caused me without a landline and mobile line for almost 3 weeks and not to forget they are charging me for services they were not able to provide as promised on time! My experience is too long to detail on here but I'm sure others people's experiences you will see by all the bad reviews will make you realise that the service from Virgin media is terrible.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    The worst broadband you can get. It’s not working at all and I still have to stay and pay them for no service till the end of the contract. Beware!!!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    I had the misfortune to be a virgin customer for many years and spent thousands of pounds on there products, however due to ill health and family bereavements I never used any for months and tried unsuccessfully to downgrade and when I did they made me sign a new agreement which under surest through stress I did but they where still trying to fleece me so when my mum died I tried to cancel and the fee they are asking for is nearly a years money I feel depressed over this virgin are crooks plain and simple and I am going to spend months letting the whole world know
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    awful company. so quick to call you back and sign you up. had 2 months of poor internet despite the super fast advert and engineers confirmed fault in exchange. supposed to be repaired but wasn't still 100%. now am told it's my channels and they can't guarantee a wifi signal. (nice cop out). cancelling, can never get to talk to them on the phone as always on hold. emailed them 5 x to complain, no response and apparently you can't cancel by email either.!!!! so you have to wait 20-30min to cancel. talk about taking the mickey!!! complaining to Ombudsman as they want to now charge a cancellation fee of £173!!!!
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      5 stars
    • Customer Service
      5 stars
    • Speed
      5 stars
    • Reliability
      5 stars
    Comments
    I have had virgin media fibre optic broadband for more than 5 years now. It is ONLINE 99.9% of the time. Even if their system goes down for a day they refund £5 on the monthly bill. Internet is super fast and extremely reliable. The only downside is the cost which is expensive compared to something like TalkTalk but the peace of mind achieved by taking Virgin is priceless. I know this because i have two houses and one has virgin fibre and other has talktalk adsl. Just get the fibre optic, you will thank yourself. I am writing this review because i am missing my virgin broadband at other house since it is being renovated now.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    My experience with Virgin is very very poor. They didn't let me know my contract will refresh and I haven't got any letter or new contract. But when I ring them they are just keep blaming the post office and nothing has been sorted out. Very poor customer service and not reliable. I just felt like they robbed me :(
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      4 stars
    • Reliability
      3 stars
    Comments
    More of a review of their after sales service department than a review of the broadband which, when it works, has generally worked well. The problem lies when it fails, which has become more frequent of late, and the resulting palaver of trying to get it fixed. Every time I ring up with a issue, I end up shouting at someone because they argue or ignore what I'm saying, or fob me off. Recently, they have resorted to lying as regards the whereabouts of a missing technician, who was due between 1 and 6pm, but turned up at 8.20pm when my missus had gone to bed and the kids where doing their homework. Needless to say, the visit was declined. I accrued one and a half hours on hold on the phone after 6pm, just trying to find out where the tech was, without success. If they can't even locate their tech, without upsetting a customer, then how are going to deal with a real fault?
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Terrible network received an order confirmation but for some reason was not comfirmed properly and had to call them to find out on the day of installation that it was not confirmed so it was delayed. Would not recommend them at all. The best they could do is apologise.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    My 60 Mb cable deal has a maximum speed of 8Mb, the superModem does not reach 10m (admittedly from the groundfloor to the first floor), the connection to the internet breaks up all the time (I had over a dozen cut-outs since the afternoon). Each time I call technical services, the response is "reboot the router", followed by "I fixed the server now". I then get a derisory 3quid off my next bill. They don't solve the problem.
    I had an "engineer" out twice, who told me that it must be a problem with (whatever), and if I want to get another "engineer" out, I have to pay them 100 quid.

I was promised fast and reliable broadband, and for the benefit of 45 quid a month, I get neither.

As soon as my street gets cable from a different provide, we're off. Pathetic customer service.
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    Absolutely shambles as new customer very bad service just over 2 months still waiting for my connection and the customer service English is so poor,keep getting cut off after been on the pone nobody wants to take care of the problem
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      3 stars
    • Reliability
      2 stars
    Comments
    Cancelled my Virgin Media subscription nearly after 15 years and moved to TalkTalk For £20/month for internet And landline after having bills for £60 plus a month for internet and Talk Weekends only Landline
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Customer Service
      3 stars
    • Speed
      1 star
    Comments
    supposed to be 20meg download, have not reached that yet in 2 years, very poor ..
  • Reviewer
    Reviewing
    Virgin Media
    Date
    Ratings
    • Satisfaction
      1 star
    • Customer Service
      1 star
    • Speed
      1 star
    • Reliability
      1 star
    Comments
    I've had terrible service from Virgin Media so far. I switched to Virgin in February this year and was given an installation date of 14 March. The evening before there installation was due to take place, I received an email from you informing me that the installation had to be postponed due to cable issue external to our property. At that point, our subscription with our previous service provider had expired and we were given a later install date of 10 April by Virgin. We have now been sitting for almost a month with no internet connection in our flat, but expecting the installation to finally occur on Monday. However, the installation was yet again postponed (with an indeterminate new date) this evening. This occurring again just one business day before the installation is due to take place. Upon phoning your customer service desk this evening, I was given no reason for the current postponement and offered no temporary internet solution. Really bad service.

The reviews published on this page are those of the individual authors who have warrantied that they abide by our review guidelines. Reviews are not the opinion of Broadband.co.uk.